Friday, April 11, 2008

Sonoma Valley Pampering, Part 2: Spa Treatments to Die For

After a comfortable night’s rest, we continued our weekend of pampering at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Spa. It was the first time either my wife Lucky or I had been to a spa, and I admittedly was a bit embarrassed to be there. Not that I’m a manly man, but I personally have always thought of spas as a place for a “girls’ getaway.” Using Lucky’s birthday as a cover for having to go, I was able to hide the fact (until now) that I was secretly looking forward to being doted over while soothing hands kneaded me into a pile of mush.

We arrived at the beautifully manicured grounds of the Fairmont Sonoma with its impressive Spanish-Mission style architecture, an oasis in the middle of a very average neighborhood. It didn’t take long to find the 40,000-square-foot, European-style spa complete with its own source of thermal springs. After checking in with the attendant at the front to confirm our reservations, we were soon changing into our bathing suits and Fairmontsupplied plush robes and reflexology sandals.

The Fairmont’s menu of spa services is amazingly comprehensive. They offer everything under the sun, from the typical massages and facials to the unique – body wraps and flotation treatments in which you are suspended in a cocoon-like environment in flotation beds heated to 120°F. Add to that access to all their day classes – spinning, aerobics, yoga and more – and the use of their bath house and you can easily spend a day or two there without getting bored.

We decided on the couples’ massage and facials since we were new to all of this. But before we began our treatments, we took part in their signature Bathing Ritual. A unique treatment all its own, at least 30 minutes should be allotted to fully enjoy this experience. The ritual begins with an exfoliating shower in which a supplied mineral kur shower gel is used to exfoliate and cleanse your skin. Next you ease into the 98°F warm mineral bath before relaxing in the 102° hot mineral bath with jets. Both are from the 135°F Boyes Thermal Springs, located more than 1000 feet below the spa, cooled to differing degrees for each bath. After a nice soak in the hot bath, it is suggested you re-hydrate with a glass of water before cooling your body with a cold shower. I couldn’t stand it for more than a few seconds before I jumped into the eucalyptus steam room. Both invigorating and soothing, the eucalyptus steam cleared my airways within seconds and had me sweating despite a strangely cool sensation. Next door to the steam room is the sauna, which gave a 100°F dry heat that reminded me of the dry Las Vegas climate. The sauna is then followed by another drink of water and a cold shower. After the ritual, I was so relaxed that I didn’t think the massage or facial would do much more to help us unwind.

We waited for our masseuses while snacking on complimentary fresh fruits and teas while reading the paper in comfortable leather chairs in the waiting area. Before long, our names were called and we were whisked into a private room with side-by-side massage tables. Lucky had the lavender aromatherapy massage while I opted for the unscented one. Our only other professional massages were in Hawaii after our wedding, so granted, we had very limited experience for a frame of reference. Nonetheless, both of us agreed that these totally obliterated the previous massages we had received.

My lower back has been killing me since our pal Grady came to live with us. With a little direction, regarding which areas on which to concentrate and how firm a touch should be used, my masseuse had hands (and arms and elbows) of magic! Abracadabra! The pain literally subsided (until we went home and I picked up Grady again). Lucky preferred a lighter touch and was totally satisfied with her massage as well. It was amazing how we both felt as though we were drifting in and out of consciousness, drugged by the masseuse’s touch. Our fifty minutes passed way too quickly; I thought to myself, “Perhaps the 90 minute massage wouldn’t have been too long after all.”

We then headed back down to the waiting room for some more cucumber- infused water and strawberries, oranges and dried fruits before we were magically whisked away for our second treatment. Lucky received a Lavender facial while I went in for the Men’s Facial (that way I didn’t feel too silly). But after the cosmetologist examined my skin, she declared my face a disaster zone and recommended the Cellular Rejuvenation Facial. I was in the hands of a professional, so I relented.

While this treatment was therapeutic, it was also even more relaxing than the massage. With each step, she explained what she was doing, what products she was using, and how each worked. Occasionally, her voice would fade into oblivion and I would rudely fall asleep as she talked. But I’m sure she was used to that. Perhaps if she hadn’t wrapped my hands in warm lotion filled mitts and massaged my face and scalp, I wouldn’t have fallen asleep on her. When she was done manually extracting, exfoliating, slathering my skin with grape leaf extract and applying an ampoule of cell-rejuvenating solution, my face really did feel radiant.

It may have been the thrill of the moment, but even a few days later I still felt glowing. Maybe it was what I call the dentist effect: After a cleaning by my dentist, I always swear to floss every day. That lasts about a week before I’m back to my bad habits. Let’s just say I moisturized for about a week before forgetting where the facial lotion was.

As we drove away from that oasis of peacefulness, Lucky commented, “Maybe we should make facials and massages a part of every birthday celebration.” Yes, spa treatments may be habit forming. Fortunately, we won’t be students next year.

Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa
100 Boyes Boulevard
Sonoma, California
Spa Reservations: (877) 289- 7354



Originally printed: http://www.ucsf.edu/synapse/articles/2008/Apr/3/sonoma.html

No comments: